What Type of Parmesan Cheese Should I Use in Recipes?

Ask Peggy

Ask Peggy

DEAR PEGGY: When a recipe calls for grated parmesan cheese, how do you know if it's asking for the dried kind or the actual grated cheese? —A. M., Reading, Pennsylvania

Grated refers to the size of the cheese particle not the type of cheese in our recipes.

When one of our recipes calls for "grated Parmesan cheese," we are referring to a fine particle of cheese, not the type of cheese. You can grate it from a block of Parmesan cheese or use pre-grated Parmesan cheese sold in a shaker-type container.

When we call for "shredded Parmesan cheese," we are referring to larger pieces of cheese. You can buy pre-shredded cheese, or you can shred the cheese from a block using a shredder.