How do I make the dough for bread machine recipes without a bread machine?
I don't own a bread machine. Could you please tell me how to make the dough for bread machine recipes without a bread machine? — J.A., Honolulu, Hawaii
I don't own a bread machine, either, but my favorite dinner roll recipe starts out in a bread machine. Any bread machine recipe can be made by hand if you follow steps common to most yeast breads. This method is for recipes using active dry yeast:
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water (110° to 115°).
2. If any of the following are included, add the eggs, additional liquid, sugar, honey, herbs, salt and most of the flour.
3. Beat until smooth.
4. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
5. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic.
6. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top.
7. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
8. Punch dough down; shape dough, let it rise and bake as directed in the recipe.More Yeast Bread Recipes »
Bread Box: Bread-related Videos »