Fun Clown Container
Coming up with the design was a quick process, I just recalled my favorite birthday party as a girl. I plan to give a set of the materials to my sister-in-law so her daughters can have the same fun experience. —Barbara Swanson, Marlborough, Connecticut
- Tracing or pattern paper
- Patterns on this page
- Empty mayonnaise or other 32-ounce jar
- 4-inch Styrofoam ball
- Serrated knife
- Felt—9- x 12-inch piece of green, 12- x 6-inch piece of white, 6- x 9-inch piece of orange and red, and scraps of pink and black
- Acrylic paints—red, yellow, green, blue and orange
- Five cotton swabs
- Pom-poms—one 1-1/2-inch red and two 1-inch orange
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- 11- x 14-inch piece of lightweight cardboard
- Snack mix, jelly beans or other treats to fill
- Trace patterns onto tracing or pattern paper and cut out patterns. Cut out fabrics as directed on pattern pieces.
- Also cut two 3/4-inch circles from pink felt (trace around a dime) for cheeks. Cut a 2- x 1/2-inch piece from red felt for the bow center.
- For the hair, cut the following rectangles from orange felt: one 8-1/4- x 2-inch, one 8- x 2-inch and one 7- x 2-inch. Fringe rectangles by cutting every 1/4 inch along one long edge, cutting to 1/8 inch from opposite edge.
- From white felt, cut a 5-1/2- x 1-1/4-inch piece for the bow and 12-1/2- x 1-inch piece for the hatband. Find the width and circumference (around the lid) of the jar lid and cut a piece of white felt to this measurement for neck band. (Barbara's measured 10 inches x 5/8 inch.) Pin these three white felt pieces to the cardboard. Dip a cotton swab into red acrylic paint. Dab randomly onto each piece, re-dipping as needed. Repeat with remaining colors, using a separate cotton swab for each. Let dry.
- Cut a small piece off the bottom of the Styrofoam ball, forming a flat bottom for the head. Glue head to top of jar lid. Glue on face.
- For hair, position the uncut long edge of the 8-1/4-inch piece of fringe around sides and back of head 1-1/2 inches above jar lid so fringe hangs down. Glue uncut edge in place around head. Add 8-inch piece in same manner, 1/2 inch above first row of fringe and 7-inch piece 1/2 inch above second row of fringe.
- Fold hat into a cone shape, overlapping lower back edges 3/4 inch. Glue in place. Place hat on head over fringe and glue in place. Glue hatband around lower edge of hat with cut ends overlapping in back. Glue red pom-pom to point of hat.
- Place lid on jar and glue neck band around jar lid with cut edges at center front. Fold narrow ends of the bow piece to the center on the wrong side and glue in place. Pinch center of bow together and wrap bow center piece around bow, overlapping and gluing ends in back. Glue bow to neck band below clown's chin.
- Glue hands to wrong side of sleeves with thumbs pointing up. Glue upper edge of sleeve to shoulder area of jar.
- Glue orange pom-poms down center front of jar.
- Position feet under jar, having toes sticking out toward front. Glue to bottom of jar.
- Fill jar with snack mix, jelly beans or other candies.
Finished size: About 3-1/2 inches wide and 13-1/2 inches tall.
Click on the pattern at left to open a pdf for printing. TIP: You will need the latest Adobe Acrobat® Reader installed on your computer. Install Adobe Acrobat Reader for free.