The Taste of Home Cookbook Recipe Contest Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER. PURCHASING WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This contest is open to legal residents of the United States and Canada (excluding residents of the Province of Quebec) 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. This Contest is sponsored by The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc. (“Reader’s Digest”). Reader’s Digest is the parent company of the Taste of Home brand. Employees and immediate family members of Reader’s Digest or their affiliated or subsidiary companies are not eligible to participate. Contest is governed by laws of the USA. All federal, state and local laws of the USA and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
2. How To Enter: The Contest begins at 12:00 a.m. Central Time (CT) on July 1, 2010, and ends at 11:59 p.m. (CT) on Nov. 30, 2010. To enter visit www.tasteofhome.com/cookbookcontest and follow the instructions completely. Only entries submitted via the website electronic form will be accepted. Entries submitted via any other method, including but not limited to U.S. Postal Service, facsimile or other express delivery services will NOT be accepted.
All submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. (CT) on Nov. 30, 2010. All entries must include your full name, address, city, state, zip, telephone number and email address (if you have one). Entries submitted in geographic areas in which the entry is not permissible will be disqualified. If entries do not contain all necessary information, entrant will be disqualified. Please be certain to follow all directions.
3. Entry requirements: Submit your favorite recipe in the category that best fits your recipe. Entries must be submitted in one of seven (7) categories. Sponsor reserves the right to move a recipe into a more suited category if desired. Each recipe must fall into at least one of the following categories:
- Slow Cooker or Casserole
- Soups, Salads and Sides
- Appetizers and Snacks
- 5 Ingredients
- Cookies and Bars
You must indicate on your entry the category into which your dish falls.
You must also indicate on your entry: the name of the dish, the ingredients, exact U.S. measurements, timing, special preparation instructions and approximate number of servings.
Entry must be in English.
You may enter as many recipes as you like in as many categories as you like. However each entrant is only eligible to win one prize.
The Submission must be the original work of entrant and not previously published. Submission must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. All entries become the property of Reader’s Digest Association and will not be returned. Winners will be required to grant to Reader’s Digest Association all rights, titles and interest in the submitted entry. We reserve the right to use your entry in all print and electronic media, and to edit it for brevity and clarity.
4. Judging: The winners of the contest will be determined by judging all the entrants’ submissions based on the following criteria: 35% Flavor; 25% Visual Appeal; 25% Feasibility; 15% Creativity
Does this recipe taste wonderful with every bite? Does it have mass appeal? Would you want to make this recipe over and over based on the great taste?
VISUAL APPEAL: 25%
Does this recipe present beautifully on the plate or in the baking dish? Do your eyes make you want to eat this before you can smell or taste it?
Is this recipe capable of being created in a reasonable amount of time? How many ingredients does it use? Could anyone create this food by following the recipe?
Is the recipe an original idea? Is there artistic or imaginative thought around ingredient usage and/or method? Is it one of a kind? Is the recipe reflective of unique twists to ingredient usage? Does it contain interesting, yet delightful, flavor combinations?
All entries will be judged using the criteria stated above. Judges’ decisions are final. All judging will be accomplished by a Taste of Home tasting panel, consisting of editors and food editors. Decision of the tasting panel is final and binding on all matters relating to this contest. The tasting panel will select one winner from each of the seven (7) categories plus a Grand Prize Winner.
5. Prizes: One (1) Overall Grand Prize Winner and seven (7) Category Winners (one in each of the categories listed below) will be selected. The Grand Prize Winner will receive $25,000. The seven (7) category winners will each receive $500 plus a selection of Taste of Home cookbooks with an estimated retail value of $150. All taxes, if any, are the responsibility of the winners. Reader’s Digest will not be responsible for any loss, liability or damage arising out of any winner’s acceptance or use of the prize. All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded. Each winner will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility, and media use release (where permitted by law) within two (2) weeks from the date of the notification letter or an alternate winner may be selected.
6. Selection of Winners: Winners will be selected on or about February 1, 2011, and notified by regular mail and those with known email addresses and phone numbers may be notified by email or phone as well within 30 days of selection and will be required to execute a Statement of Eligibility and Release and Payment Authorization within two weeks of prize notification attempt or Winner will be disqualified and prize may be awarded to an alternate winner. Return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected. Entry and/or acceptance of prize(s) constitutes permission for the Sponsors and their agencies (if any) to use the winner’s name, address (city and state) and/or likeness for advertising and trade purposes without further compensation or authorization, worldwide and in perpetuity, in any and all forms of media, now known and hereafter devised, unless prohibited by law.
Winning recipes will be (may be) published in the 2011 edition of The Taste of Home Cookbook, which will be released in fall 2011. Some or all of the eight (8) winners may also be published in the October/November 2011 issue of Taste of Home magazine.
7. Conditions: Sponsor is not liable for any technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer internet system, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading/uploading any materials in this Contest, or other technical difficulties or failures or other errors of any kind. Sponsor is not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant’s or third person’s computer and/or its contents, related to or resulting from Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or modify the Contest at any time for any reason. In such a circumstance, winners will be selected based on entries received to date of termination. In the event that two similar entries are received, only the entry judged to best meet criteria as set by Reader’s Digest will be included in the final judging. Entrants agree to indemnify Reader’s Digest, their affiliated and subsidiary companies from and against any and all claims and liabilities arising out of or in connection with this Contest. Any dispute regarding submission of online entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organizations (e.g. business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Sponsor is the official timekeeper for this Contest. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the website or the entry process.
8. The total number of contestants anticipated nationwide is 10,000.
9. Winner List/Consumer Information: If you wish to receive a list of Prize Winners, send your request by December 31, 2010, with a self-addressed stamped envelope and write to:
Taste of Home Cookbook Recipe Contest
The Reader’s Digest Association
Attn: Test Kitchen
5400 S. 60th. St.
Greendale, WI 53129
The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc.
Taste of Home
5400 S. 60th. St.
Greendale, WI 53129