Taste of Home Presents Branson’s Great American Pie Show Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER. PURCHASING WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Contest is sponsored by The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc. (the publisher of Taste of Home) and Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce & CVB. Contest is open to U.S. residents 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of The Reader’s Digest Association and Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce & CVB, or their affiliated or subsidiary companies, and their immediate family members, are not eligible to enter the Contest. Contest is governed by the laws of the USA. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by
2. To Enter: The Contest begins at 12:00 am on January 12, 2009 and ends at 11:59 PM on March 13, 2009. All submissions must be received by 11:59 PM CST on March 13, 2009. To enter visit www.tasteofhome.com/pieshow and follow the instructions.
To enter by mail send recipes to:
Taste of Home
ATTN: Branson Pie Show
5400 S. 60th St
Greendale, WI 53129
All submissions must be received by 11:59 PM on March 13, 2009. In the event of technical difficulties, contest submission and judging dates are subject to change without notice. Submisions must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Entries submitted in geographic areas in which the entry is not permissible will be disqualified. All entries become the property of Reader’s Digest. We reserve the right to use your entry in all print and electronic media, and to edit it for brevity and clarity.
3. Judging: Taste of Home will select 12 finalists, 3 in each of the 4 categories listed below. All 12 finalists will appear at the Great Branson Pie Show, a first place, second place, third place and fourth place winner will be selected. Winners will be selected from any category and there may be more than one winner from a category.
Recipe must fit the definition of a pie: A sweet or savory dish made with a crust and filling. Pies can have bottom crust only, or top and bottom crust. Tops can be solid (pastry, meringue, crumb-topped) or woven (such as a lattice). Can be baked on no-bake. Pies can have a variety of crusts such as classic pie pastry, puff pastry, cookie crumbs, etc. They may also contain a crumb topping.
All entries should be submitted in one of the following categories:
The fruit flavor should be distinct and the main ingredient in a fruit pie. Fruit pies contain at least one variety of fresh, frozen or dried fruit, such as apple, peach, strawberry, blueberry, rhubarb, etc. Can also be a free-form pie baked on a flat sheet instead of in a pie pan (Galettes).
Nuts should be a main ingredient and bountiful in a nut pie. Nut pies should contain at least one or a variety of nuts, such as pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc. An example is pecan pie.
The main component in these pies is cream, custard, pudding or mousse. Pudding pies can be from scratch or instant. These pies can be variously flavored with chocolate, vanilla, fruit, etc.
Pies that need to be chilled or frozen to cut cleanly or to blend flavors. Examples are cheesecake pie and ice cream pie. These pies can have a gelatin-like filling, rather than a mousse or custard, poured into a pre-baked crust and refrigerated to set.
Each recipe may be submitted in one category only. Submit your recipe in the category that best fits your recipe. Taste of Home reserves the right to move recipe into a more suited category if needed.
The 12 Finalists will be selected by the Taste of Home judging panel based on the following criteria: 25% Creativity; 25% Feasibility; 25% Flavor; and 25% Visual Appeal.
CREATIVITY/UNIQUENESS: 25 points
Is the recipe an original idea? Is there artistic or imaginative thought around ingredient usage and/or method? Is it one of a kind? Is the recipe reflective of unique twists to ingredient usage? Does it contain interesting, yet delightful, flavor combinations?
FEASIBILITY: 25 points
Could this recipe be created by an average, non-professional home cook? Are the ingredients readily available and easy to find? Is the recipe simple to follow?
FLAVOR: 25 points:
Does this recipe taste wonderful with every bite? Does it have mass appeal? Would you want to make this recipe over and over based on the great taste?
VISUAL APPEAL: 25 points:
Does this recipe present beautifully on the plate or in the baking dish? Do your eyes make you want to eat this before you can smell or taste it?
All entries will be judged using the criteria stated above. Judges decisions are final.
4. Prize(s): 12 finalists will be selected by Taste of Home, 3 in each of the 4 categories. These 12 Finalists will have their submission posted on TasteofHome.com. Finalists must be present at the Taste of Home Cooking School and Branson’s Great American Pie Show on April 24 -25, 2009 to be selected as one of the 4 winners. All Twelve finalists will receive hotel accommodations for (2) nights for (2) people in one standard double occupancy room at a hotel of the Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce & CVB choosing and meals for the two days courtesy of the Branson/Lakes Area Chamber
of Commerce & CVB. Finalists are responsible for all other transportation and expenses, including transportation to and from Branson and to the event location, Hilton Branson Convention Center. All finalists will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility, and media use release within two (2) weeks from the date of the notification letter or an alternate finalist may be selected.
From the twelve finalists, the judging panel will choose 4 finalists at the event on April 24, 2009 to continue on and compete for first, second, third and fourth place on the second day of the event, April 25, 2009. Finalists will be judged by Branson's Great Pie Show judging panel and will be evaluated on the above criteria and point system.
The First Place Winner will receive: A check for $2500 and a 4-day, 3 night trip for two (2) to Branson, MO including hotel accommodations for three (3) nights for two (2) people in one standard double occupancy room, tickets/passes for two (2) people to six (6) shows/attractions. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for two (2) people for three days at locations to be determined by the Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce (Note that Airfare is not included). Approximate Retail Value: $3,670. Should the First Place Winner elect not to take a guest, or such guest is unable to accompany Winner
on same itinerary, Winner shall forfeit that portion of the prize and the difference between the actual value of the Prize and the stated ARV will not be awarded.
The Second Place Winner will receive: A check for $1000 and a Branson Gift Basket. ARV: $1040. The Third Place Winner will receive: A check for $500 and a Branson Gift Basket. ARV: $540. The Fourth Place Winner will receive: A check for $250 and a Branson Gift Basket. ARV: $290. Checks and gift baskets will be mailed to winners before June 5, 2009. . All taxes, if any, are the finalists and winners’ responsibility. Reader’s Digest and Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce & CVB will not be responsible for any loss, liability or damage arising out of the finalists and winners acceptance
or use of the prize. All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded. All expenses not specified herein are the sole responsibility of the winner. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value in the event that the stated prize cannot be awarded due to circumstances beyond the control of the Sponsor(s).
5. Conditions: Reader’s Digest and Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce & CVB are not liable for, late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, garbled or jumbled entries. Sponsors are not liable for any technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer internet system, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting
from participation or downloading/uploading any materials in this Contest, or other technical difficulties or failures or other errors of any kind. Sponsors are not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant’s or third person’s computer and/or its contents, related to or resulting from Contest. Sponsors reserve the right to terminate or modify the Contest at any time for any reason. In such a circumstance, finalists and winners will be selected based on entries received to date of termination. In the event that two similar entries are received, only the entry judged to best
meet criteria as set by Reader’s Digest will be included in the final judging. Entrants agree to indemnify Reader’s Digest, their affiliated and subsidiary companies from and against any and all claims and liabilities arising out of or in connection with this Contest. Any dispute regarding submission of online entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organizations
(e.g. business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Sponsors, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the website or the entry process. All prizes will be awarded.
Finalists will be notified by email and regular mail within 2 weeks of the closing date. All Finalists will be required to agree to the use of their name and likeness and entry for promotional purposes (except where prohibited by law).
6. The total number of contestants anticipated nationwide is 5,000.
7. Consumer Information: If you wish to receive a list of prize winners, or have any questions about the Contest, specify your request and send a self addressed stamped envelope to:
Taste of Home
ATTN: Brenda Campbell/Pie Show
5400 S. 60th St.
Greendale, WI 53129