Give us five—ingredients, that is. We're looking for your best appetizers, beverages, sides, entrees or desserts that use five or fewer ingredients. From no-cook to slow cooked—for breakfast, lunch or dinner—as long as the ingredient list has no more than five items (salt, pepper and water are not counted in the ingredient total), it's eligible.
Here's a handful of pointers to keep at your fingertips:
- Think healthy thoughts. Whether it's low in calories and fat, low in sodium, made with whole grains or packed with fruit and vegetables, we like to see nutritious and flavorful dishes.
- Be creative. Let your personality shine and experiment with unexpected combinations.
- Use bold flavors. You've only got five ingredients to work with, so make them count. Think fresh herbs, a hint of heat, a touch of zest.
- Keep it simple. Quick and easy methods are preferred.
- Color counts. We eat with our eyes first, so if your dish is as visually pleasing as it is delicious, it could be a winner!
Deadline for entries is September 15, 2012. Look for winners in the June/July 2013 issue of Healthy Cooking.
You Could Win Cash!
Each of the winners in the Healthy Cooking "Gimme 5!" contest receives a wonderful prize:
- GRAND PRIZE: $600
- 1st Place: $400
- 2nd Place: $200
- 3rd Place: $100
Share this contest
You may enter more than one recipe. If you email or mail your recipe, be sure to print the name of the contest as well as your full name, street address and phone number, including area code, with each entry. Be specific with measurements, directions and the size of cans, packages and pans so others can successfully make your recipe. Include a few words about the origin of your recipe. Share any compliments it's received, plus any variations you recommend. If any duplicates are received, the entries with the earliest postmarks will be considered.
Mail recipe to:
"Gimme 5!" Recipe Contest
Healthy Cooking Magazine
5400 S. 60th Street
Greendale, WI 53129