Country Woman's Birthday Cake Contest Official Rules
1. This contest is open to legal U.S. or Canadian residents 18 years or older at time of entry. Employees and immediate family members of Reiman Media Group Inc. or their affiliated or subsidiary companies are not eligible. No purchase necessary to enter or win.
2. To enter color prints, mail to "CW Birthday Cake," Country Woman, 5400 S. 60th St., Greendale WI 53129. Send e-mailed entries with the subject line, "CW Birthday Cake," to email@example.com. Your entry must include: One or more attached photos, submitted as either color prints or a high-resolution JPEG file; a description of your birthday cake design, list of materials and basic instructions to create it, along with how CW inspired you to decorate the cake as you did. Also include your name, mailing address, daytime telephone number and e-mail address. We will disqualify incomplete entries, including those with photos not viewable (for any reason).
Color prints (not from inkjet printers) must be 5x7 inches or larger. JPEGs must be taken with a digital camera of 5 megapixels or better, or scanned from a print. They must be at least 1,500 X 2,100 megapixels (5X7 inches at 300 dots per inch). Hint: Make sure to capture the entire cake in the frame, and photograph it in front of a plain background. If there are special details that a close-up shot can reveal, please include it.
Your submission must be original and not previously published; it must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
3. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. CDT, July 1, 2010. Reiman is the official timekeeper.
4. A panel of Country Woman staffers will judge entries and choose a cake for first, second and third place. Judging is based on overall design and appearance (30%), appeal to CW readers (30%), technical quality of the image (30%) and creativity in design (10%). Decision of the judges is final and binding on all matters related to this contest. Winners will be selected on or about July 30, 2010 and notified by phone. Winning photos will be featured in the December/January 2011 issue of Country Woman.
5. The first-place winner will receive $500 cash. We'll award $300 for second place and $200 for third place. Prizes will be mailed to the entrant. All prizes will be awarded; if a prize is undeliverable, or returned, we may select another winner. Total approximate retail value of all prizes is $1,000.
6. All entries become the property of Reiman. Winners grant Reiman all rights and interest in the entry; we reserve the right to use it in all print or electronic media, and to edit for brevity, clarity and style. Entry and/or acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Reiman and any of its agencies to use the winners' names and city and state, or their likenesses for advertising and trade purposes without further compensation or authorization, worldwide and in perpetuity in any and all forms of media now known and hereafter devised, unless prohibited by law.
7. Reiman is not liable for any technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer internet system, servers or providers; computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail because of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or any combination of the above. This includes any injury or damage to any computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading/uploading any contest materials, or other technical difficulties or failures. Reiman reserves the right to end or modify the contest at any time for any reason, and would then select winners based on entries received through the date of termination. Entrants agree to indemnify Reader's Digest, affiliated and subsidiary companies from and against any and all claims and liabilities in connection with this contest. Any dispute regarding submission of entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the person assigned to an e-mail address by an internet access provider, online service provider or other organization, such as a business or school, that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Reiman reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process or Web site operation.
8. Total number of expected entries: 250. To receive a list of prize winners or ask questions about the contest, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to "CW Birthday Cake Contest," attn: Joanne Wied, Country Woman, 5400 S. 60th St., Greendale WI 53129.
9. Contest is governed by laws of the U.S.A. All federal state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited.