Cooks Who Care Week
Taste of Home Establishes First Annual National Cooks Who Care Week to Encourage Cooking, Caring and Sharing this Holiday Season
At Taste of Home, getting into the holiday spirit begins in the kitchen and continues in the community with acts of kindness.
Against the backdrop of our country's tough economic conditions, the editors at Taste of Home are declaring the second week in November National Cooks Who Care Week—to celebrate the generosity of those who are giving back through food-related efforts.
The purpose of Cooks Who Care is to use your passion for food and cooking to benefit those in need. There's no limit to the possibilities!
Here are some ideas from Taste of Home:
- Join the Cooks Who Care Community Forum—a place to share stories of how you are using your culinary talents to make a difference in your community. It's free!
- Volunteer to make or serve a meal at a soup kitchen, shelter or group home.
Find opportunities at www.volunteermatch.org or www.dosomething.org.
- Bake cookies for the elderly and shut-in in your area, work with your community center to coordinate delivery. Browse cookie recipes »
- Host a bake sale to benefit a non-profit. Watch Taste of Home Editor-in-Chief Catherine Cassidy demonstrate creative bake sale recipes on the CBS Early Show »
- Create baked goods to send to troops overseas. Read about "The Cookie Mom"—she sends cookies to troops overseas every Christmas »
- Host a chili cook-off to benefit your local volunteer fire department.
Broswe chili recipes »
- Bake sugar cookies, then bring them with a group to an after-school children's program or nursing home along with frosting and sprinkles to decorate together.
- Donate your services to a local charity auction. Example: "A Fresh Pie Each Month for the Entire Year!" Browse pie recipes »
- Host a canned goods drive at your office or church to benefit the local food shelf.
Find a food bank in your area »
Download these signs for your next Cooks Who Care event
TIP: To download these Cooks Who Care Signs, you will need the latest Adobe Acrobat® Reader installed on your computer. Install Adobe Acrobat Reader for free.
If you or a group you belong to cooks for a charitable, spiritual or other purpose, we'd love to hear from you. Submit your story