Plum-Glazed Roast Chicken
A flavorful, festive favorite!
“It's been a favorite holiday dish ever since I started making it. A small 9- to 11-pound turkey may be substituted for chicken—I've used both.”
—Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
- 4 medium oranges, halved and seeds removed
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) plums
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange oranges in a shallow roasting pan, cut sides down. Place chicken over oranges, breast side up. Mix garlic powder and salt; rub over the outside and inside of chicken. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Roast 1-1/4 hours. Meanwhile, drain plums, reserving liquid. Remove pits from plums. Place plums in a food processor; process until pureed.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add pureed plums and reserved plum liquid; stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove 3/4 cup mixture for glaze; reserve remaining mixture for sauce.
- Remove chicken from oven; brush chicken with some of the glaze. Roast 3/4 to 1-1/4 hours longer or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, brushing occasionally with remaining glaze. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Reheat reserved sauce. Serve chicken with sauce.
Yield: 8 servings Prep time: 15 min. Bake: 2 hrs + standing
This recipe is featured in
Taste of Home Christmas 2014
350+ holiday-special recipes, homemade gifts, dazzling decor ideas, complete menus and more.
Accept your FREE PREVIEW!