Quicker Blue-Ribbon Peanut Butter Torte
- 14 Servings
- Prep: 25 min + chilling
- Bake: 20 min + cooling
“No one will guess that this tall, tiered cake isn’t completely homemade. Chunky peanut butter is stirred into both the cake batter and the decadent chocolate ganache, giving each layer a rich, from-scratch taste.”
Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter, divided
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (10 ounces) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 2-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) cream cheese frosting
- 2 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each), coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts
- Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans; set aside. Combine the cake mix, water, 1/2 cup peanut butter, eggs, oil and vanilla in a large bowl; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans (pans will have a shallow fill).
- Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Place chocolate chips in a large bowl. Bring cream and brown sugar to a boil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour cream mixture over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in remaining peanut butter until blended. Chill until mixture reaches a spreading consistency. Spread between layers.
- Frost top and sides of cake. Garnish with chopped candy bars and peanuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
Used cake mix and added peanut butter to batter. Filling is the same. Used canned cream cheese frosting instead of from-scratch frosting. Original prep was 55 min, quicker is 25 min. 30 min. savings.
Editor's Note: Reduced-fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
This recipe is featured in
Quick Cooking Annual Recipes 2014
You’ll get 600+ fast, family-favorite recipes & time-saving tips for delicious meals on your busy nights.
Accept your FREE PREVIEW!