Spinach Cheese Manicotti
- 7 Servings
- Prep: 55 min.
- Bake: 55 min.
“No one will even miss the meat in this hearty, delicious meal. Cream cheese and cottage cheese “beef up” the filling and give this lasagna-like dish a creamy base. "
—Julie Lower, Katy, Texas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 1-1/4 cups (10 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Eggland's Best® Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, wine, Italian seasoning, sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the cottage cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese, eggs and salt.
- Stuff cream cheese mixture into uncooked manicotti shells. Spread 1 cup sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spay. Arrange manicotti over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until pasta is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 7 servings.
Just 389 calories per serving!
This recipe is featured in
Best Loved Healthy Recipes
You’ll get 1,000+ tried-and-true recipes that are lower in fat, calories, sodium and carbs—but big on home-style flavors!
Accept your FREE PREVIEW!