Hearty Butternut Squash Soup
- 12 Servings
- Prep: 20 min.
- Cook: 40 min.
“The comforting combination of squash, meat, beans and veggies make this my go-to soup in fall. It's full of freshness.”
—Jaye B., Grand Rapids, MI
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, divided
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 cans (151/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (141/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heavy whipping cream and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a stockpot, cook sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat 9-11 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; discard drippings.
- Add the squash, 1 1/2 cups corn, water and chicken base to the same pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pot. Add beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sausage mixture and remaining corn; heat through. If desired, drizzle servings with cream and sprinkle with parsley.
This recipe is featured in
Taste of Home
Annual Recipes 2014
You'll find a full year of mouthwatering Taste of Home family-favorite dishes—500+ mouthwatering recipes—all together in one gorgeous cookbook!
Accept your FREE PREVIEW!