Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
- 9 Servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
“Smoked turkey sausage and red pepper flakes add zip to this saucy, slow-cooked version of the New Orleans classic. For extra heat, add red pepper sauce at the table.”
—Julia Bushree, Georgetown, Texas
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. Discard bay leaf.
- Sprinkle each serving with onions. Serve with rice.
This recipe is featured in:
Taste of Home Recipes Across America
You'll get 735 all-American recipes from home cooks coast to coast!
Accept your FREE PREVIEW!