Brined Grilled Turkey Breast
- 6 Servings
- Prep Time: 20 min.
- Bake Time: 75 min. + resting
“You'll want to give thanks for this mouthwatering turkey! Moist, slightly sweet and a hint of spice make this one of our best turkeys ever.”
—Tina M., Johnstown, Pennsylvania
- 2 quarts cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 boneless skinless turkey breast half (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 quart water, salt, brown sugar and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add the remaining cold water to cool the brine to room temperature.
Place a large resealable plastic bag inside a second plastic bag; add turkey breast. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a pan. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Meanwhile, combine basting sauce ingredients. Place turkey over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting occasionally with sauce. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Morton brand kosher salt. It is best not to use a prebasted turkey breast for this recipe.
This recipe is featured in:
Taste of Home Best Holiday Recipes 2012
You'll get 235 treasured family recipes for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day—all from real home cooks just like you!
Get your copy of Taste of Home Best Holiday Recipes 2012 today!