Sweet Potato Chili
- 6 Servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
“My friends and I created this warming chili one rainy day in Seattle. The sweet potatoes may be left out, but they are the secret ingredient that makes this recipe fabulous.”
—Jonell T., Omaha, Nebraska
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place potatoes in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, onion, green pepper, garlic and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, chili powder, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes, beans and butter; heat through.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
This recipe is featured in:
Taste of Home Holidays & Celebrations 2012
You’ll get 350+ NEVER-BEFORE-PUBLISHED recipes, perfect party menus and easy decorating ideas for holidays all year-round!
Accept your FREE PREVIEW of
Taste of Home
& Celebrations 2012