Special Mother's Day
Tired of flowers, candy and breakfast in bed? Try these simple gift ideas to make your Mom feel like royalty on Mother's Day or any day you want to show you care!
- Create a "handmade" tablecloth with each child's handprint; the date; and a wish for, drawing or happy memory of Mom. Add a new print and wish every Mother's Day.
- Make a card with "coupons for chores" that Mom can redeem throughout the year.
- Have a family photo day. Shoot an entire roll of film taking pictures of the family. Select one to add each year to a multi-photo frame.
- Fill a blank notebook with a different letter of the alphabet on each page. Then pick one memory about your mom or one quality she has that starts with that letter and illustrate. For example, "S" might be a picture of a soccer ball and the words, "Thanks for going to all of my soccer games."
- Take children to a ceramics studio and have each one paint a small tile to give to Mom. When she has enough, she can use them to frame a large keepsake mirror, reflecting years of happy memories!
- Plant a flowering bush or fruit tree that will blossom every spring around Mother's Day.
- Let Mom sleep in late, then serve her a fancy French-toast breakfast in bed.
- Write a love letter—or several—to tuck behind pillows, place in teacups or stash away in secret places like the medicine cabinet for Mom to find in the weeks ahead.
- Record an interview with Mom. Get all the questions ready ahead of time, then let her reminisce: What was her favorite gift as a kid? What did she want to be when she grew up? What can she remember about the house she was raised in? Who was her favorite relative when she was young and why? Who was her favorite teacher? What did she do on her first date with Dad?
- Create a tradition, such as a "Spring Planting Day" at Mom's house for cleaning up gardens or window boxes, putting in new annuals, filling and hanging porch flower baskets, etc.