Zucchini Santa Fe
Chopped green chilies give this summer side dish lots of zip - a popular flavor around Mom's Arizona home. It's a tasty way to use up a bounty of garden vegetables.
-Karen Wingate, Coldwater, Kansas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 cups sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the zucchini and onion in oil for 3-4
- minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the chilies, tomato, salt if
- desire, pepper and garlic powder. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 58 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.