Zucchini Rice Pilaf
I created this colorful rice and veggie side dish one night by combining a few ingredients I had on hand. My husband, Robert, loved it and I have been making it ever since.Lori Blevins, Douglasville, Georgia
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/4 cups hot water
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, saute basil in butter for 2 minutes. Add water
- and bouillon; bring to a boil. Stir in rice and carrot. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until rice is
- tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 231 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.