David Horste, Portland, Oregon
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + standing Process: 15 min.
- 2 pounds firm fresh zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Combine zucchini and onions in a large bowl; sprinkle with canning
- salt and cover with cold water. Let stand for 2 hours; rinse and
- In a large saucepan, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour
- over zucchini and onions; cover and let stand for 2 hours.
- Transfer to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer
- for 5 minutes. Carefully pack hot mixture into hot half-pint jars,
- leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust
- lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about
- 4 half-pints.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 111 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,772 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.