Zucchini Fruit Cocktail Loaf
I was raised on a farm and learned to cook at a young age. My mother was so good at substituting ingredients if she thought something was missing in a recipe, so I tried the same when I first baked this bread. I added the fruit cocktail for more flavor and moistureand it worked.
32 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped peeled zucchini
- 1 can (17 ounces) fruit cocktail, drained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar, oil and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir in zucchini and fruit cocktail. Combine dry ingredients; stir
- into zucchini mixture. Stir in nuts. Pour into two greased and
- floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes
- or until bread tests done. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans
- to a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze one loaf to enjoy months later.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 195 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.