In Carmel, Maine, Jacquelyn Smith dresses up garden-fresh zucchini with mushrooms, onion, cheddar cheese and a hint of basil. "I let everyone season their own servings of this side dish with salt and pepper at the table," she adds.
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- In a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish, layer zucchini, mushrooms and
- onion. Sprinkle with cheese and basil. Cover and bake at 350°
- for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with reduced-fat cheese) equals 43 calories, 90 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol, 4 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm protein, 1 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat.