Zippy Vegetable Soup
A blend of tender vegetables adds garden-fresh goodness to this hearty soup from Michelle Nichol of Bedford, Nova Scotia. "You can give it extra zip by using spicier salsa," she notes.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 4 teaspoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper and carrot in oil
- until tender. Add the beans, tomatoes, water and salsa.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or
- until vegetables are tender. Top each serving with a teaspoon of
- sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 195 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.