Zippy Skillet Rice
Tomatoes, pimientos and green pepper add festive color to this zippy rice side dish. It complements just about any meat but is particularly good with chicken. To turn the recipe into a main dish for a light supper, just add 3/4 pound of browned ground beef.
-Dorothy Bateman, Carver, Massachusetts
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup diced pimientos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute rice in butter for 5 minutes or until
- golden brown, stirring constantly. Add the green pepper, onion and
- garlic. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are
- tender. Add the tomatoes, pimientos, chili powder, salt, pepper and
- turmeric. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is
- tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 209 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 585 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.