Zippy Bean Stew
"This bean stew is a staple for my co-workers and me once the weather turns cool," says Debbie Matthews of Bluefield, West Virginia. "Although this is a low-fat dish, it definitely doesn't taste like it!"
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, broth, corn and
- green chilies. Stir in the water, carrots, onion, garlic and chili
- powder. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are
- tender and flavors are blended. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 218 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 964 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.