Zesty Turkey Spaghetti Sauce
My sauce is good for you because it calls for lean cubed turkey instead of meatballs. For extra flavor, I add turkey pepperoni to the sauce, along with green pepper, onion and mushrooms. It's easy to prepare, and the seasonings can be modified to fit anyone's tastes.Sue Yaeger, Boone, Iowa
5 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1 pound uncooked turkey breast tenderloin, cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jar (15-1/2 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup sliced turkey pepperoni, halved
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 10 ounces uncooked vermicelli
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, saute the turkey, green pepper,
- onion and mushrooms in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in the
- spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, wine or broth and tomato paste. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Uncover;
- simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook
- vermicelli according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce.
- Yield: 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup sauce with 1 cup vermicelli) equals 428 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 752 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 2-1/2 starch.