Zesty Lemon Curd
There are lemon trees in our backyard, so I'm always on the prowl for new ways to use the fruit. When we shared some of our homegrown citrus with neighborsCanadians who were spending the winter herethe wife "repaid" us by giving us this recipe!
The curd keeps well, and it can be used for any meal. My husband likes it on waffles and toast for breakfast, but it's also a great dessert
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar,
- lemon juice and peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking
- constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal
- spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and
- refrigerate until chilled.
- Spread on muffins or rolls, or serve over waffles or ice cream.
- Yield: 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 144 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.