Zesty Italian Soup
While visiting my sister-in-law, we had a delicious Italian soup at a local restaurant. We decided to duplicate it at home and came up with this recipe. The seasonings and types of tomatoes can be varied to suit your family’s tastes.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound bulk Johnsonville® Ground Sausage
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes,
- carrot, jalapeno, Italian seasoning and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until heated through. Just
- before serving, stir in macaroni. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 205 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 1,034 mg sodium,