Witch's Hat Cake
You don't need a special pan to put together this fun witch cake using a packaged cake mix, prepared frosting and assorted candies. She'll come together so quickly, you'll think it's magic!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
10-12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (12 ounces) whipped vanilla frosting
- 3 tablespoons dark baking cocoa
- 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- ASSORTED CANDIES: Large marshmallow, 2 brown M&M's, 1 spearmint leaf, one 6-inch piece red shoestring licorice and a burnt peanut
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions. Place 2
- tablespoons batter into each of five paper-lined muffin cups. Spread
- remaining batter in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out
- clean. Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to
- cool completely. Cool cake for 10 minutes before inverting onto a
- wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut cake into an 8-in. x 8-in. x 6-in. triangle. Cut the cake scraps
- into two 4-in. x 4-in. x 3-in. triangles. Save the remaining cake
- for another use.
- For hat, position the large triangle on a 16-in. square covered
- board. For the face, place the two smaller triangles below the hat
- with the 3-in. sides touching the base of the hat. Arrange cupcakes
- around the edge of the face. (see diagram/photo).
- Place 1 cup frosting in a bowl; stir in baking cocoa. Place remaining