Winter Vegetable Soup
I'VE ENJOYED this soup for years because it tastes good, is simple to make and doesn't leave a lot of leftovers.
When there's a chill in the air, a steaming bowl of this savory soup is welcome.
-Mavis Diment, Marcus, Iowa
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the broth,
- potato, carrot and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli, salt if desired and
- pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are
- tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-1/3-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth and without salt) equals 168 calories, 8 g fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.