Winter Squash Cheese Casserole
I love serving a hot casserole straight from the oven in the winter. It warms up my kitchen and my family loves it!Alberta Goodrich, Portland, Connecticut
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds winter squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- Ground nutmeg to taste
- In a saucepan, cook squash in enough water to cover until tender.
- Drain. in a skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onion
- until tender. Place squash in a greased 2-qt. casserole. Top with
- the onion and half the cheese. Beat the eggs, milk and seasonings
- together. Pour over the squash. Top with remaining cheese; sprinkle
- with bread crumbs and nutmeg. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or
- until set and lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 202 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.