Wilted Leaf Lettuce Salad
When I think of my favorite meals from childhood, this salad comes to mind. Nothing beats garden lettuce wilted with bacon drippings, and no other recipe better captures the taste of long ago.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 radishes, sliced
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large salad bowl, toss lettuce, onion and radishes; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to
- drain on paper towel. To the drippings, add vinegar, brown sugar,
- mustard, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Pour over lettuce and
- toss; sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 141 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 268 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.