Wild Rice and Squash Pilaf
This pilaf is fantastic with fish or poultry and especially compatible with turkey. Since it's so colorful, I like to think it makes my turkey "dressed for the holidays".
-Erica Ollmann, San Diego, California
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled winter squash
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, squash, onions and green
- pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the rice, broth, soy sauce and savory. Cover and cook over
- medium-low heat for 13-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Stir in
- almonds. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 118 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.