Wild Rice Salad
Since I spend part of my summers in northern Minnesota near the wild rice fields. I have tried many recipes featuring this delicious, nutty-flavored grain in the past 46 years. This salad is often requested by family and friends! Florence Jacoby, Granite Falls, Minnesota
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- Seasoned salt, optional
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups halved green grapes
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 cup cashews, optional
- Lettuce leaves
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt or
- substituting seasoned salt if desired. Drain well; cool to room
- temperature. Spoon into a large bowl; add chicken, grapes, water
- chestnuts and mayonnaise. Toss gently with a fork. Cover and chill.
- Just before serving, add cashews if desired. Serve on lettuce leaves
- or line a bowl with lettuce leaves and fill with salad. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared without cashews or additional salt) equals 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat; also, 318 calories, 229 mg sodium, 38 mg cholesterol, 40 gm carbohydrate, 19 gm protein, 10 gm fat.