Wild Rice Mushroom Chicken
Jacqueline Thompson Graves of Lawrenceville, Georgia uses a wild rice mix to put a tasty spin on a traditional chicken and rice bake. "It's simple and delicious," she says. "It's also yummy made with leftover chicken or turkey."
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + freezing
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) long grain and wild rice mix
- 8 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, cook chicken in 3 tablespoons butter for 10 minutes on each
- side or until browned and a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove
- chicken and keep warm.
- Add remaining butter to pan drippings; saute red pepper until tender.
- Stir in mushrooms; heat through. Add to rice. Serve four chicken
- breasts with half of the rice mixture.
- Place remaining chicken in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; top
- with remaining rice mixture. Cool. Cover and freeze for up to 3
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2
- casseroles (4 servings each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 319 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 504 mg sodium,