Wild Rice Apple Salad
You're in for a treat if you've never tasted wild rice from Minnesota! Wild rice is actually a cereal grain that's full of fiber and minerals. It's not only healthful, but delicious-especially when prepared in this dish.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min. + chilling
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup wild rice
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff
- with a fork. Drain if necessary.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, apples, celery, brown sugar and
- lemon juice. Combine the dressing ingredients; pour over rice
- mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1 bread, 1 fruit, 1 fat; also, 198 calories, 140 mg sodium, 7 mg cholesterol, 32 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 7 gm fat.