Whole Wheat Potato Rolls
My cousin’s classic-with-a-twist recipe is truly delish. Extra rolls freeze well. — Devon Vickers, Goddard, Kansas
32 ServingsPrep: 30 min.+ rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 to 4-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Quick-cooking oats, optional
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl,
- combine sugar, oil, eggs, potato flakes, salt, yeast mixture,
- all-purpose flour and 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until
- smooth. Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a soft
- dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and
- shape into 24 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.