White Bean Dip
From Benton Harbor, Michigan, Katina Tanner sends a low-fat party starter. "This is a wonderful way o use fresh basil," she says. "Increase the amount of herbs if you like or replace the pita chips with crackers for variety."
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Baked pita chips
- In a food processor, combine the beans, oil and garlic; cover and
- process until smooth. Add the basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper;
- cover and process until blended. Serve with pita chips. Refrigerate
- leftovers. Yield: 2-1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup dip (calculated without pita chips) equals 102 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 326 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.