White Bean Crostini
A buttery bean puree showcasing the fresh flavors of garlic and thyme tops golden slices of French bread. The versatile appetizer never fails to win the approval of my guests.Nancee Melin, Tucson, Arizona
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 24 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- Sliced ripe olives and additional fresh thyme, optional
- In a food processor, combine the beans, 1/4 cup oil, garlic, salt and
- pepper. Cover and process until smooth. Add olives and thyme;
- process until blended.
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with remaining oil.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly. Spread each slice with 1 tablespoon bean mixture.
- Garnish with olives and thyme if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 appetizer (calculated without garnish) equals 76 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber,