This version of shortbread is fragile, not too sweet and melts in your mouth. Mostly I make it for the holidays, but I'll also prepare it year-round for wedding showers and ladies' teas. —Jane Ficiur, Bow Island, Alberta
102 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min./batch
- 3 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cornstarch
- Nonpareils and/or halved candied cherries
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light
- and fluffy. Gradually add flour and cornstarch, beating until well
- With hands lightly dusted with additional cornstarch, roll dough into
- 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press
- lightly with a floured fork. Top with nonpareils or cherry halves.
- Bake at 300° for 20-22 minutes or until bottoms are lightly
- browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Yield: 16-18 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 81 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.