My family has been harvesting watermelons for generations. Our church group often serves this refreshing treat at the town's watermelon festival.Lisa McAdoo, Rush Springs, Oklahoma
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 8 cups seeded chopped watermelon
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups milk
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, sugar and lemon juice. Chill for
- 30 minutes; place half in a blender. Blend until smooth; pour into a
- large bowl. Repeat with the other half; set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook and stir gelatin and water over low heat until
- gelatin dissolves. Add to watermelon mixture; mix well. Stir in the
- milk until well blended.
- Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's
- directions. Serve immediately or freeze and allow to thaw about 20
- minutes before serving. Yield: 1/2 gallon.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 120 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.