“I entered this recipe in a local fair, and it took first place! This is one of my favorites because all of the ingredients (except for the lime juice) came directly from my garden and bee hives.” —Carolyn Butterfield of Lake Stevens, Washington
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups seeded finely chopped watermelon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, onion, peppers and
- herbs. Drizzle with honey and lime juice; gently toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with chips. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 22 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.