Warm Savory Cheese Spread
Served in a bread bowl, this colorful cheese dip gets added flavor from bacon and veggies. “It’s perfect for parties anytime of the year,” notes field editor Marilu Hynes of McLeod Hill, New Brunswick.
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread
- Assorted crackers
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Cut the top
- fourth off the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a
- 1-in. shell (save removed bread for another use).
- Spoon cheese mixture into bread shell. Wrap in a piece of heavy-duty
- foil (about 24 in. x 18 in.). Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until
- heated through. Serve with crackers. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 119 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.