Warm Dressing for Spinach
This tangy-sweet dressing is perfect for large gatherings. Keep it warm in a crockpot or slow-cooker. I like serving it over dandelion or spinach salad, and I also like it mixed in with mashed potatoes. Just a little gives a lot of flavor.
35-52 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Torn fresh spinach, sliced fresh mushrooms and salad croutons
- 1 package (1 pound) sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually
- stir in water and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot dressing into eggs; return all to the pan,
- stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes
- longer. Remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately over spinach with mushrooms and croutons; sprinkle
- with bacon. Or transfer dressing to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker and keep
- warm on low. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 50 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.