Warm 'n' Fruity Breakfast Cereal
We love the heartiness of this nutritious cooked cereal, seasoned with cinnamon and loaded with chopped fruit and nuts. We like it served with plain yogurt and sliced bananas or blueberries. It will start your day right!
John Vale, Hardin, Montana
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups seven-grain cereal
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and
- cook on low for 6-7 hours or until fruits are softened. Sprinkle
- individual servings with walnuts if desired. Yield: 10 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (calculated without walnuts) equals 185 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.