- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually
- add sugar, beating until thick and pale yellow. Beat in the water,
- peels and vanilla. Combine the walnuts, bread crumbs, baking powder,
- cinnamon, cloves and salt; add to batter. Beat until smooth.
- In another bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of
- tartar on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg
- whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until
- a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Carefully peel off
- waxed paper.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream shortening and butter. Beat in
- vanilla. Gradually beat in sugar. Add milk; beat until light and
- fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of
- cake. Garnish with toasted walnuts. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice (calculated without additional walnuts) equals 456 calories, 26 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 144 mg cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.