Walnut Caramel Cake
"I once enjoyed a nutty chocolate-caramel cake at a teahouse," writes Deanna Richter. "I eventually happened upon a similar recipe that dresses up a boxed cake mix." The Elmore, Minnesota baker says the moist cake is a hit, especially with chocolate lovers, whenever she serves it.
12-15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour half of the
- batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350°
- for 18 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the
- caramels, butter and milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until
- melted. Pour over warm cake.
- Sprinkle with the walnuts and chocolate chips. Pour the remaining
- batter over chips. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until cake is set
- and pulls away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack. Yield:
- 12-15 servings.