Walnut Banana Bread
Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I bake 200 loaves of bread.Douglas Jennings, Ottawa, Kansas
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- bananas and milk. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually
- add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for
- 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 207 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.