Vidalia Onion Soup
There's no question of the star in this traditional favorite soup. Rich Swiss cheese delightfully tops off a heaping bowlful of sweet, succulent Vidalia onions.Ruby Jean Bland, Glennville, Georgia
8 ServingsPrep: 50 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 4 to 5 large Vidalia or sweet onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions in butter until
- lightly browned. Sprinkle with pepper and flour. Cook and stir for 1
- minute. Add the broth, water and bay leaf; simmer for 30-40 minutes,
- stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf. Ladle into ovenproof soup bowls; top with bread and
- cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese is golden
- brown. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 153 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.