- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Cook and
- stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened, about 2
- minutes. Remove from the heat. In a bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla
- and salt until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a
- time, on medium speed until soft peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually beat in cornstarch mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, on
- high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at
- 325° for 18-20 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool on a
- wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie for at least 3 hours before
- serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 376 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.