Vermont Baked Beans
These baked beans are nothing like the canned variety you may be used to. The rich sauce has wonderful smokiness from chopped bacon and a subtle sweetness from maple syrup.Elizabeth Horton, Brattleboro, Vermont
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + soaking Bake: 3 hours
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Soak beans according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans,
- discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add water. Bring to a
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp; drain. Stir the onion, syrup, salt, mustard, pepper and bacon
- into the beans.
- Cover and bake at 300° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are
- tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 317 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 784 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 14 g protein.